If I can fakes it, I can makes it.
Hi, I’m Carina, or Ultima if you know me from online. I’ve been cosplaying since 2002 (!!!) and attending conventions regularly since 2006 (!?!?!) which makes me old as balls. I took a mostly involuntary break from the hobby from 2013 to 2015, but now I’m back and ready to sew all the things. Oh, and I guess share some of the things I’ve learned over the past 10+ years.
I have a certificate in Costuming for Stage and Screen from Capilano University (North Vancouver, BC) and have won costume awards at the master level, which I suppose makes it sound like I know what I’m doing. I’m more of a seamstress than an armor or prop maker, so if you’re looking for advice on stuff that involves something other than sewing, I got nothing. Unless you want to laugh as I stumble through my own trial-and-error process, then I have everything.
In my spare time when I’m not cosplaying (har har), I’m a recent graphic design graduate and high-performance athlete in the most Canadian sport ever, curling.
My interests lie mostly in JRPGs, being a long-time fan of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and occasionally you can catch me hanging out in Eorzea on Sargatanas server in Final Fantasy XIV (when I'm not busy working on cosplay, of course). I also love ridiculous shounen anime, magical girls, and idols.
If you’d like to see a more comprehensive portfolio of my work prior to 2015, please check out my American Cosplay Paradise profile! Otherwise, you can find me on the following sites:
If you'd like to support my work, I also have a Ko-Fi page! Don't feel obligated, though. Any money will go right into helping me complete projects on my bucket list!
Awards and recognition
- Best In Show - Animethon 2018 (Alkaid from .hack//G.U.)
- Best Costume - A Taste Of Animethon 2018 (Aqua from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep)
- Judge's Award - Just Be Cos - Animethon 2017 (Dizzy from Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-)
- Best Individual - Master Division - Sakura-Con 2016 (Y'shtola Rhul from FINAL FANTASY XIV)
- Cospix booth staff (on-site photo editing) - Anime Expo 2017, Anime Expo 2018
- Volunteer work w/ ACParadise for Pony Canyon (Yuki Yuna is a Hero as Yuna) - Sakura-Con 2015
- Cosplay contest organizer and judge - Ptarmicon 2013, Ptarmicon 2014
- Panelist (Katekyo Hitman REBORN! fandom panel) - Sakura-Con 2010, Sakura-Con 2011